Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Degree of Abstraction

After much thoughts, I finally came up with my degree of abstraction!
As I was doing my degree of abstraction, I had to keep changing my designs/abstractions from time to time. This is because it was hard to reduce the multiple visual factors to only the essential and most typical features.

1st abstraction: the typical look of the tray returning point
2nd abstraction: remove the chains and nails
3rd abstraction: one trolley instead of two, reduce the amount of utensils
4th abstraction: change the trolley to a simple looking one
5th abstraction: from two levels to one level on the trolley, reduce the utensils to the essential ones only

It was not easy doing this degree of abstraction, from a fairly complicated picture to a simple looking one. It also has to be easily understood by all as well as communicate where the tray returning point is.
This is my 15cm x 15cm pictogram to be placed in canteens to direct us to the nearest tray returning point!

No comments:

Post a Comment